Friday, 8 September 2017

Implementing Clarity in the Learning How?

How to implement in the Classroom.


Shared clarity about what is to be learnt


To be active in their learning,
  • a student has to be clear about what they are supposed to be learning and
  • why it’s important to learn and
  • what that learning should look like.


If a student isn’t clear about this, at best they will compliantly do tasks the teacher gives.  They may learn from doing the tasks but are passive learners.

The questions we want the children to be able to answer first are;
  • What am I learning?

  • Why am I learning it?

  • How will I learn it? (Process)  

  • and How will I know I’ve learnt it?

  • How will I understand about the quality – what does good look like?

How do we do this?

Make the changes (as I've written about in past posts) with Learning intentions and success criteria to all subjects esp writing.
What language do we use to keep it consistent?
The following words:

LI - Learning Intention
We are learning to......

Success Criteria ( the How).

Discussed our next lesson on advertising and linking LI's Global LI's and Specific LI's. and
Success Criteria (How will I know I’ve learned this).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Megan

    Great to see such direct links to the 'Clarity in the Classroom' book. I had some wonderings around the visual classroom and the idea that the walls are 'another' teacher. Are there prompts with key language up? How do you know the students use them? What needs to happen in Tahi in Term 4 that will ensure these practices are consistent and setting learners up for success?

    Working closely with others means we need to ensure consistency with our colleagues in lesson planning and formats. Are their systems to ensure this happens when others are working in your space?

    Just some thoughts...

    Happy holidays!

    Jacq

    ReplyDelete