you cannot grow self managing students without freedoms
The New Zealand Curriculum places the Key Competencies at the front however in it is so I think that a lot of teachers struggle to create opportunities, within traditional systems, to provide opportunities for children to grow these skills. I am one of these I suppose in the past I do touch on the KC's but more on the academic curriculum. What a game changer it has been to see a school setting up to do just this and it has made me reflect on my own practice as a teacher.
Here is a quote from Lisa's blog that says it all really:
It is exciting to know that we do have a curriculum that gives us the freedoms to create experiences for children that are rich and empowering if we are brave, open to change and prepared to change then we can create really rich and powerful learning experiences for children.
Dispositions they have identified at Hobsonville may be an area to work towards at St Mary's School.
We have identified:
- researching
- reasoning
- questioning
- reflecting
- self knowledge
- resilience
- self motivation
- perseverance
- social confidence
- courage
- coachable
- noticing
- collaborating
- listening
- balance
- imagining
No comments:
Post a Comment