Will the Weekly focus glued into their one book help these students keep on track with their individual goal? I am finding students, especially the target ones are getting a little confused with what teacher LI's are and what to reflect on. See changes below about Learners in the driver's seat. Will this too help engagement and focus amongst students
The Why
Teachers going gradeless is an interesting article, I am more focusing on John Hattie and what he states that Students who are shown how to self-assess show the most gains!!!!Therefore by teaching students how to accurately self-assess based on clear criteria, will I empower them to become “self-regulated learners” able to monitor, regulate, and guide their own learning?
"The reason students never develop these traits is that our monopoly on assessment, feedback, and grading has trained students to adopt an attitude of total passivity in the learning process."
The HOW
Read this great article 'Learners in the Drivers Seat'
It is about promoting autonomy in our learners and it uses the metaphor of Driving. When driving we have an idea of a destination.
Hands on the wheel steering and making decisions as we go.
- When the learners drive the learning it leads
- greater engagement and intrinsic motivation
- students setting higher challenge
- students evaluating their work
- better problem-solving.
Great quote from the article
"If learners are to find purpose in classroom activities, we may need to revise some current practices which have squarely placed purpose in the voice of the teacher.'
Learners feel engagement with purpose when they are involved in a choice
So from this, I am going to approach my writing a little different. Make a slide that all the children have access to and can begin on their own until they have a workshop around this. I endeavour to take the target children first thing so they have an understanding of what is expected then revisit with what they have produced independently, with a lot of peer, share, and compare. And the students to respond to feedback given bu myself and peers in the group.
I want to promote a culture of listening to each other, active learning,
sharing thoughts and ideas, and thinking of others.
See more notes on 'The How' in personal blogger
No comments:
Post a Comment